Here are a few simple tips to help pet-proof this Thanksgiving holiday:
Keep your pets out of the kitchen
Counter-surfing can result in severe poisoning to your pet, ruining your holiday and causing you shame when you have to induce vomiting in your pet in front of all your friends and family.
Don’t let friends and family feed your pets!
Next, make sure your guests know the house rules: Don’t feed your pets. Your friends and family may not be aware of the common kitchen foods that are quite poisonous to pets: grapes, fatty table scraps, bones & turkey legs, onions, leeks, chives and garlic, unbaked yeast bread dough, and alcohol.
Dump the trash!
Somehow, your dog will find a way to get into it, and the leftover corn-on-the-cob, yummy string that goes around the turkey legs, turkey skin, bones, moldy food, and fatty grizzle all pose a threat to your pet.
If you think your dog or cat ingested something poisonous, contact your veterinarian, or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at
1-888-426-4435 for life-saving care, right away.